Savory golden oatmeal with fried egg is a delicious and unique spin on the classic porridge breakfast! The oatmeal contains turmeric making it beautifully bright yellow and pairs deliciously with a fried egg, drizzle of honey and spoonful of almond butter.
Do you follow my Instagram stories?
If not, you totally should. And you’ll see that I make turmeric milk legitimately every night. Like…every single night. Love the stuff.
I don’t put anything on my Snapchat because I am technologically illiterate and it confuses me. I am a millennial with a food blog and I don’t know how to use technology. Seems impossible right? It’s the truth. So Instagram stories it is.
Okay, back to the turmeric!
Turmeric contains one of the most potent anti-inflammatory compounds we know of, curcumin. I eat turmeric daily because I have a bunch of weird autoimmune/digestive things wrong with me (IBS, allergies, asthma, psorasis, KP and eczema) and I am using nutrition, supplements and stress management to help cure myself of each of these. I’ve got more details on that coming soon in another blog post…
If you are like me and you have any inflammatory things going on in your beautiful body…I highly recommend adding turmeric daily in your diet! While I love my turmeric milk, I also enjoy finding different ways to include the spice in my diet. Hence my turmeric chicken tenders and today’s recipe!
If you have never tasted turmeric, it’s bright yellow/orange with a very mild flavor. I promise it does not overwhelm your food! I love it in today’s recipe because it makes the oatmeal bright yellow and pairs so beautifully with the sweet honey and gooey almond butter. Plus what doesn’t taste good with a fried egg on top? I love undercooking the yolk so that it adds even more creaminess to the oatmeal. So. Good.
- ½ cup old fashioned rolled oats (gluten free if needed)
- 1 cup water
- Dash of turmeric
- Pinch of ginger
- Pinch of smoked paprika
- Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon honey (local, raw honey preferred)
- 1-2 Tablespoons almond butter
- Optional: top with red pepper flakes
- Heat a small pot on medium high heat. Add the oatmeal and water and bring to a boil. Once to a boil, reduce the heat to low and simmer for approximately 15 minutes. While simmering add the turmeric, ginger, smoked paprika, sea salt and pepper. Once finished cooking, place into serving bowl.
- While cooking the oatmeal heat a small saute pan on medium heat. Add oil and cook egg until thoroughly cooked. I prefer my egg whites to be completely cooked and the egg yolk to still be runny.
- Top the oatmeal with fried egg and top with honey, almond butter and optional red pepper flakes. Enjoy!
I hope you have a wonderful weekend! I am planning a pretty low key one here…getting business work done, providing a cooking demo at Nature’s Food Patch with my girl Meg, going to the farmer’s market and doing lots of cooking!
Tell me: Have you tried oatmeal savory yet?
Ditch the Diets E-Book
Receive my free e-book on how to ditch the diets and find food freedom!