Fall Salad with pumpkin spice tahini dressing contains all the best autumn flavors in one dish! Crisp lettuce and apples, roasted butternut squash and Brussels sprouts with sage and thyme, sauteed apple chicken sausage all covered in pumpkin spice tahini dressing. It’s the perfect salad to celebrate fall flavors!
Y’ALL. I love fall.
Love, love, love, love it.
But here’s the thing. I live in Florida. We don’t really have fall. As I type this it’s not the crisp, morning fall air that the rest of the country is experiencing. It’s still muggy and hot here, highs still in the mid-to-high 80’s. It’s the one time of the year I get homesick because I miss (Clemson) football games, the leaves changing, boots and scarves.
No worries though. In the next month where the rest of the country will start to become unbearably cold (well everything below 60 degrees is unbearably cold to me!) Florida will become heaven. Our winter is basically fall, and is the only time the season really changes. We have a reallyyyyyyyyy long summer and a winter that is basically fall for a few months. The heat is always worth it when you can go to the beach year round and wear a jacket just a few times a year 🙂
This recipe encompasses all my favorite fall foods in one: apple, winter squash, Brussels sprouts, pumpkin spice and the herbs sage and thyme. Plus apple chicken sausage, pumpkin seeds and tahini all pair so well with autumn flavors!
Fall salad with pumpkin spice tahini dressing is the perfect light dinner, or double the recipe and eat it for lunch for the week. The dressing will most likely make extra, which is never a bad thing! The salad dressing is modified from this recipe by Kath Eats. If you don’t have tahini, I bet almond butter would make a good substitute! I haven’t tried it, but when does almond butter not taste good? Never, is the answer. Never.
- 4 cups of spinach, kale, or mixed greens of choice- divided
- 1 small apple, diced
- 2 cups butternut squash, diced
- 1 cup Brussels sprouts, trimmed and cut in half
- 1 T olive oil
- 2 teaspoons fresh sage, minced
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme, minced
- 2 links apple chicken sausage, sliced
- 3 T tahini
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
- ¼ cup warm water
- 1 T pure maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin spice
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes (or less if desired)
- Salt and pepper
- 2 T pumpkin seeds (or walnuts or pecans)
- Preheat oven to 425.
- Place butternut squash and Brussels sprouts on a baking pan and coat with olive oil, sage, thyme and salt. Make sure the vegetables are evenly coated. Bake for approximately 20 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- While the vegetables are roasting, make the dressing. In a small mason jar (or bowl or blender), mix together tahini through red pepper flakes, add salt and pepper as needed. Shake to combine.
- In a small saute pan on medium high heat, add sliced chicken sausage and brown for 3-5 minutes.
- Once vegetables are finished cooking, it’s time to put together your salad! Divide the spinach or lettuce evenly, top with the diced apple, cooked apple chicken sausage and roasted vegetables. Top with desired amount of dressing, and finish off with pumpkin seeds (or nuts of choice!)
Happy Wednesday, see you back later this week for another delicious recipe!
Ditch the Diets E-Book
Receive my free e-book on how to ditch the diets and find food freedom!